Tales of a Solitary Soul

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

To give or not to give

So the boss is finally gone and what a relief it is!!!!!
Finally, I actually look forward to work instead of the dreadful feeling I used to get waking up in the morning (and while at work).

I've been getting a lot of pressure from various people because I have not signed on for the MAC YOUTH GIVE blood drive. The way I look at it everyone has their way of contributing. Some people give money, some clothes, some blood. Its not like I'm against it or anything but its just I do not feel comfortable with it.
And I'm not going to do it just because people are telling me to. Not only would I be doing it for the wrong reasons but also I won't like it.
Insha Allah i'll do it one day on my own terms. Any ways I got a whole bunch of blood tests to worry about in the meantime.

Its interesting how at times we tend to believe lies and propaganda very quickly without waiting to hear the other side (especially if the other side is Muslim). I must admit I did not have the best of the opinions about the Taliban but some recent revelations have started to change my perception.
I read an article about an female Italian journalist who was put in jail by the Taliban before 9/11 for some reason I cannot seem to recall. But the interesting part was that she was expecting very harsh treatment but instead she was treated very nicely with three meals a day. Not only that but the guards repeatedly called her 'sister.' She was so impressed by their manners that while in captivity, she promised them that she would read the Quran.
A short while after her release, she acted upon the promise and ended up converting. Its amazing how some people see the light from the unlikeliest of sources. Its also amazing on how just one facet of Islam made such an impression on her compared to other non-muslims who live among muslims and yet dont see the truth.
This is quite ironic considering the bad rep that the Taliban got for their treatment of women, a white educated female ends up becoming Muslim thanks to them. An incident like this brings this verse to mind:

"Surely you cannot guide whom you love, but Allah guides whom He pleases, and He knows best the followers of the right way." (al-qasas verse56)


Faraz Ahmed 7:35 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment