Tales of a Solitary Soul

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

The Approaching Torment

Reading seems to have come to a halt with the advent of the exams but I still do manage to sneak some time in, but barely. Insha Allah, the next book I want to pick up after the exams is by the Nobel Laureate author Gabriella Garica Marquez. Its called 100 Years of Solitude and its quite the famous book from what I hear. It shouldn't be surprising for this is probably the masterpiece of his career.

After reading his first book, Chronicles of a Death Foretold, I fell in love with the little Spanish town where everyone knew of a murder to take place the next day except for the victim. But it was not even the plot that attracted me as much as being lost in the far away South American town with its customs and traditions that enthralled me more, I suppose. One of the images from the book that still stick out is of that of the Pope doing the cross sign in a mechanical motion, which interestingly enough came to life during the extensive coverage of the death of Pope John Paul. Its amazing how the mind works sometimes where an image brought back memories from a book that was read 4 years ago. Man, that feels like ages ago!!!!!

It would be nice to keep up with my goal of reading one book per month, be it Islamic or non-Islamic. Obviously, April cannot take part in this plan but insha Allah after the exams, I'll start again. Up until now, its been The Warriors of God for february and Da Vinci Code for March.

On a different note, it looks like the GIVE event for April will be MCE cleaning. It'd be nice, I guess, to be humbled by such a chore for its easy to get carried away at times. In fact, in terms of rewards, I think this would be right up there with the other ones. I must say though having never cleaned washrooms in my own house, this should be quite the adventure :-)

P.S. Torment = Exams
Faraz Ahmed 12:09 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment