Tales of a Solitary Soul

Friday, May 27, 2005

EMAAN

Tonite is the fourth yearly banquet for EMAAN (Edmonton Muslim Achievement Awards Night). I still vividly recall that evening when I got the call three years ago about some kinds of an award nights for Muslim students across the city, a first of its kind in Edmonton. As with most organizations, the start was the toughest and we barely had more than twenty students show up from across the city (considering there are hundreds of Muslim students in high school).

Being incharge of recruiting people from my high school, I attracted a grand total of one student (to the best of my recollection). Even that one person came because I think I almost forced her to. I don't want to give the wrong impression, the person was a good muslim too so that probably was the reason.....otherwise if everything was left up to my convincing skills, I'd probably crash and burn!!

Four years later, now it has various scholarships and awards for students ranging from junior high to University......so much baraka'h!!! Well, its nice to know that I was initally a part of something that is insha Allah going to benefit hundreds of people down the road

(for all engineers: derive an equation that would calculate the amount of good deeds I'm earning thanks to my initial involvement....i'm guessing it should have some kind of exponential lograthmic term!!)

I found something interesting for everyone to enjoy and you never know when it mite come in handy :-)

What NOT to say when caught sleeping at work/class:

1. They told me at the blood bank this mite happen!
2. This is just a 15 minute power-nap like they raved about in the last time management course you sent me to.


3. I wasn't sleeping! I was meditating on the mission statement and envisioning a new paradigm!


4. This is one of the seven habits of highly effective people!
5. I was testing the keyboard for drool resistance.
6. Actually I'm doing a "Stress Level Elimination Exercise Plan" (SLEEP). I learned it at the last mandatory seminar you made me attend.
7. I was doing a highly specific Yoga exercise to relieve work related stress.
8. Darn! Why did you interrupt me? I had almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem.
9. The coffee machine is broken.
10. Someone must've put decaf in the wrong pot.
11. Boy, that cold medicine I took last night just won't wear off!
Faraz Ahmed 11:38 p.m.

2 Comments:

...how true!!!...Just to let you noe these are not just theory gibberish like our Engineering concepts!!!...I have actually seen people in my office use them to get away with their slackiness.
Its pretty funny that people actually get away with these excuses...though I'm guessing their bosses probably don't think too highly of them.....

hmm....maybe I should try some of these next time :-)

Add a comment