Tales of a Solitary Soul

Monday, May 02, 2005

My List

The post-exam period has brought with itself a feeling of evaluation and just random pondering. Maybe its the free time now, but I've been thinking about a lot of stuff lately. Courses, co-op term in fall, family, marriage, egypt, post-degree era............

Getting pulled in all directions, it becomes very hard to keep track of the big picture sometimes......

A part of me wants to travel the world, hiking across the Swiss Alps to the Parisian suburbs and on to the English countryside where each brick has amusing tales about royal monarchs to the lowly pickpockets........ancients secrets hidden behind castle walls, waiting for the right person to turn the key and unravel its mysteries.....the same grounds that were once soaked in blood during WWII only to be brought back to life by the playful laughter of children as they race across seemingly endless greenery.......each blade of grass yearning to tell its story of the battles it has seen with countless acts of courage and heroism.....only if it can speak.......

People say the most crucial time of my life is right now......of how I plan the rest of my life...how I plan for my finances, what bonds I buy, how I invest, which savings account I open........the list goes on......

I tell them, or atleast I want to, that I also have a list......how many night prayers have I offered, how many hours did I spend in Allah's way, how much did I donate to the masjid, to a homeless, to an orphan.....

Will I ever walk bare feet through the lush fields of the French countryside or lie on the Mediterranean beaches staring across the same ocean that had once witnessed the launching of a thousand ships??

The Prophet said, "A single endeavor in Allah's Cause in the afternoon and in the forenoon is better than the world and whatever is in it."
Faraz Ahmed 11:31 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment