Tales of a Solitary Soul

Friday, July 22, 2005

Being incharge of a bunch of 8-10 years old is much much harder than it sounds and I had the pleasure of finding that out last weekend. At the IFSSA camp, the attendees were split up into their respective age groups and a person was assigned to lead them.....or in my case, get trampled all over!!!

They were all good kids but sometimes, I wanted to lay the smack down on each and everyone of them.....but then again, they were just acting their age I suppose....

Though they did listen to me when it actually mattered; one example:

Around 1.30 am, I'm done telling them stories about the early Islamic battles and about to leave them in their rooms to sleep

KIDS: Can we please stay up till fajr (3.15 am)!! Pleasssse!!!
FARAZ: Fine but I don't want anyone leaving this room throughout the night no matter what happens!!!!
KIDS: OK!!

Around 2.30 am, my room door suddenly opens and a kid comes running in while i'm in deep sliumber

KID: Wake up!! Wake up!!!
FARAZ: What happened??? Is everyone all right??
KID: Can I please go to the washroom?? I really have to go!!!
FARAZ: Of course!!!! Why do you need my permission for that!!!
KID: Because earlier you mentioned that nobody is to leave the room.

I love kids.....now only if they were that obedient when they hit junior high. I was actually waiting to get the pics before I blogged but maybe I'll post them in the next one.

GIVE event for July is tommorrow and I'm actually pretty excited! Most of the volunteers are first timers and its good to see different people come out each time. Its an indication that the word is spreading slowly....but steadily!!!

On a different note, what in God's name is happening in London??? Every second day, there is some kind of threat or explosion......it only reaffirms my belief that Canada (especially Deadmonton) is one of the safest places to live these dayz.
Faraz Ahmed 10:34 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment