Tales of a Solitary Soul

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Spare Time.....Where Art Thou??

Nothing quite like sitting in an engineering computer lab plugging away at some random equations which are too complicated to be solved by hand, meanwhile surrounded by Discover E kids who seem to think that shouting 'B-I-N-G-O' repeatedly at the top of their lungs is the brightest idea they've had in their short lives.

Yesterday, I played my first organized soccer game in years. What, you ask, is the difference between that and just kicking the ball around with friends?? Its a world of a difference. The pace is a lot faster, there are rules in terms of fouling, you can't deke through the whole team. The sad situation of our team forced me to play defense (keeping in mind that I'm a midfielder). This was a recipe for disaster!!!

Though the most disappointing thing was my endurance, which died after half an hour. Its was ridiculously embarassing to have guyz blowing by you when on a normal day I'm twice as fast as any of them!!! But insha Allah, I have to take this as motivation for next time to ensure a repeat doesn't take place.

The IFSSA camp is coming up and insha Allah I will be dropping in for a day though how I wish it could be the whole weekend!!! But gone are the carefree dayz, when responsibilities were few and time was aplenty. So many years of free time and nothing to show for it. And when the realization dawns, its already too late for now I'm stuck in a cyclical pattern thats bound to repeat itself day after day, week after week, year after year; offering little in way of flexibility.

A slave of time I am,
Trying to chase it I am;
Though it waits for no one,
It gives a sense of delusion;

Until one day I looked around,
It had blown past me and I was on the ground;
For I was the hare that slept too much,
Only myself to blame for I was warned as such;

Reminds of the hadeeth:

“Take advantage of five things before five other things occur, your youth before you become old, your health before you become sick, you wealth before you become poor, your spare time before you become busy, and your life before death."
Faraz Ahmed 3:55 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment