Tales of a Solitary Soul

Sunday, August 14, 2005

58th Birthday

Preparations for another 'war' are going pretty well. 'Know Thy Enemy' is what they say and I've done my share of studying on it. All now remains is the final confrontation. The battlefield will be the second floor of ETLC and the designated time is 9-12 pm [assuming it lasts that long].

All jokes aside, I actually feel like I've been in a war after finishing an exam. Walking out the thoughts in my mind are something to the effect of:

"Man, the exam got in a pretty good blow with that first question; I really wasn't expecting that to be their first attack maneuver. But I nailed that second question pretty hard....yeah, that son of a gun was killed in less than five minutes but...............then question no. 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 just massacred me after that!!"

Afterwards, I'm tired, hungry, disillusioned, and ready to collapse on anything not made of concrete. Another similarity is when I walk in the exam, complete victory is on my mind. But half way through it, I'm thinking 'damage control,' which essentially means that somehow just scrape through this exam and live to fight another day.

On a different note, today's the 58th birthday of Pakistan [tommorrow is India]. Considering I was eight when I moved out of Pakistan, my memories of specific dayz as such are hazy at best. I remember the general proceedings of what use to happen but have trouble pinpointing specific activities. Lots of fireworks, flags of all sizes, honking cars, patriotic songs on TV all day, license to break most laws other than the essential ones...........fun times :-)

Actually, I just remembered something. Around the age of 6 [or maybe 7], we had Independence Day celebrations in our neigbourhood consisting of songs, plays etc....the whole nine yards. I can still vividly recall going to the auditions with my cousins and landing the role of groom in the 'Best Couple' competition.

The competition included dressing up young boys/girlz as grooms/brides and matching them up as couples [don't ask me on what basis because I don't remember]. Then in between songs all the 'couples' would be paraded on staged decked out in their costumes and the audience was asked to pick their favorite couple. The decision was based on whom received the biggest ovation. By the way, I won; too bad I can't recall what my prize was......neither the identity of my bride :-(

.....nostalgia, there's nothing like it!!

Considering I don't do much on Canada Day, its only fair that my Pakistan Day celebrations are relegated to sending a few congragulatory emails.
Faraz Ahmed 8:50 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment