Tales of a Solitary Soul

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Exam in about 24 hrs [well, 23.5 to be exact]. I'm more scared than prepared but I've grown accustomed to that feeling, unfortunately.

As for my visit to cowtown, it was pleasant to say the least. Work finished up early so I had about three hours to kill before catching the bus. So Calgary Tower is where time was spent. Insha Allah I'll put up some of the pics as soon as I can figure out how to download them from my handheld.

It was amusing as I was all dressed up[because I was coming straight from work] and walking around with a suitcase in my hand giving the impression that I'm a tourist from some far away land. I got quite a few fleeting glances and some 'Where are you from?'........

Disappointment would become obvious on their faces when I would reply back that I'm from Edmonton. I suppose they were expecting me to say Middle East or Pakistan or something. One lady questioned on whether I was from Europe because I had pulled out a MasterCard for my purchase [according to her, overwhelming percentage of North Americans use Visa].

It was good to see a bunch of women/girls with hijabs on as I was roaming the streets of Calgary. I felt not too far from home and any familiarity in a strange place is always good. On that note, a brother, whose contact I had got from Murtada came to pick me up from the bus stop even though he was out with his family. And then he offered me his extra bed and furniture and we had just met for the first time!!! After meeting such people, its amazing to see that the ummah is in the state that it is.
Faraz Ahmed 9:17 a.m.

2 Comments:

people must have thought you were carrying a bomb in the suitcase...lol
I wouldn't be surprised...maybe that would explain why everyone was walking away from me!!!

I should have made a couple of sudden moves just to see how people would react....or better yet, should have prayed on the glass floor of calgary tower. I probably would have been in the newspaper the next day!

Add a comment