Tales of a Solitary Soul

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

So finally in Calgary.

For the first week, I'm staying in a hotel but insha Allah after that I will be moving to a room that I rented. Luckily, there's a halal restaurtant right infront of my hotel. Its like the company knew that when they booked me in the hotel!!!

I went for a walk around downtown with a friend and as much as it hurts me to say this, I have to: its a LOT better than Edmonton. Sure, you have your big skyscrapers and tons of traffic but then every other turn, there's little parks where one can just sit by a water fountain or lie under a shade. Its quite serene, for a downtown atleast.

The only bad part being the amount of homeless people who run after you at every turn. Now, I have nothing against them but its one thing being homeless and another when you get drunk and start shouting random stuff to every person that walks by you. Its happened so many times now that I can't think of them as isolated incidents anymore. To be honest, I'm kind of scared to go out after 6 pm.

As for work, I'm the youngest person on my floor by far (or maybe even the whole building). There's one more student but she's leaving in a week so I'll have the crown all for myself. Apparently, everyone thinks they are my 'mentor' now and that I need 'guidance.' I get quite a few 'young fellow/man/engineer' from random people. The joys of working :-)

On a different note, just waiting for Umar so we can go out. As much as I want to meet him, I also really want to see more of Calgary than just the downtown. I'll try to post some pics assuming I can get them transferred to a computer. I got lots more to say but time is short so insha Allah next time, I'll blog a longer post.
Faraz Ahmed 5:11 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment