Tales of a Solitary Soul

Thursday, September 01, 2005

I wish I knew

Finally shed the laziness and took an hour long trip to the musallah (temporary mosque) on the other side of town. It was nice to pray in congregation again to be re-juvenated and even had some alone time to read Quran...a trip certainly worth it!!

Showed up late to work today thanx to all the packing I had to do in the morning for the trip home tonite. Though I doubt anybody noticed that I wasn't here. I've realized all I have to do is leave my computer on and not even show up and people will keep thinking that I'm just away from my desk....welcome to the corporate world.

Katrina, Katrina, Katrina........she's all over the news. I read that the mayor of New Orleans called it their 'Asian tsunami.' I strongly disagree to that considering its a total disrespect to what happened last year.

How can you compare a few hundred dead to a quarter million??? Atleast the people of Louisiana can claim the damages from their insurance....what do you say to the victims of the Asian tsunami who have never even heard of the word insurance? The fact that they not only lost family members but also have no houses, no compensation, and their governments are too corrupt and poor to help them in any way.

So the people of New Orleans will get their power back in few weeks.....there was no power to begin with in the tsunami hit regions. How much of a furore had begun when someone had compared the conditions of Palestinian people to those of Jews in Nazi Germany and rightly so. Even though Palestinian people have greatly suffered, its not to the scale of mass gass chambers of the Holocaust.

What is happening in Louisiana is certainly a great tragedy but lets not lose perspective. Disasters happen all over the world but its a sad reality that some are just more important than others. Why?

I wish I knew......
Faraz Ahmed 12:17 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment