Tales of a Solitary Soul

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Back to the world of blogging after a brief hiatus, although a much needed one. If the last four months of solitude had any advantage, it was allowing me to take a step back from everything and re-assess my goals from a different perspective. Though I have mapped out extensive and detailed plans for the next two years, I realize Allah (swt) also has certain plans. After years of asking for specific material things, my dua's have now been refined to the following:
"Oh Allah, guide me to whatever is best for me and my family in this life and the Hereafter."

Well, it being the year 2006, perhaps it's time to take a look back at the year that's been. I can't mention a lot of things in specific due to various reasons but here is a general list:

The Highs
-
after experiencing a tough time in last year’s job hunt, this year was starkly different with several job offers
-
four months alone in Calgary
-
press coverage of MAC Youth GIVE’s November event
-
spending the 27th night of Ramadan in a capacity filled Calgary mosque.
-
hockey came back!!!
-
The team coming together as a ‘family’ after the tragic death of the captain’s father
-
Quantitative definition of goals over the next two years
- visiting the 'city of stone'
- A true understanding of the sacrifices required in this path I've chosen

The Lows

-
four months alone in Calgary
-
breaking the fast alone, almost the entire Ramadan
-
having to do my own grocery….it’s not as easy as it looks!
-
my ill advised outburst sparked by an ‘anonymous’ comment, something I had been very careful to avoid up until then
-
being away from university therefore missing out on all the MSA events
- not being able to finish Halo 2....I crack under the 'pressure' every time I play that game!!

On the Horizon for 2006:
-
Online Islamic courses: symbolizing a structured way of learning
-
Canadian Muslim News: this will be a very difficult challenge
-
Perhaps a farewell to GIVE?
-
Another round of job hunting (something I’m not looking forward to)
-
Maybe lessons in French? Or horticulture? Or piano?
- If time permits, involvement in Amnesty International
- Resume soccer competitively insha Allah
Faraz Ahmed 1:01 a.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment