Tales of a Solitary Soul

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Five Minutes of Spotlight

After three years of serious number crunching, I've begun to somewhat 'appreciate' courses titled Transport Phenomenon of Liquid Processes and Simulation of Process Dynamic Modelling. Yet even after taking such 'lovely and inspiring' classes, lately, a part of me wishes to takes something from the arts before my time is up.

I realize my writings are just a nonsecial collection of random gibberish at best but does that mean I'm to be court ordered not to come within 15 feet of a history/political science class? While I'm the first to admit that us engineers don't even possess the literary skills of a twelve year old English girl, that should be no reason to force us in classes where the numeral code displaces English as the primary means of communications.

Does a lack of social skills on our collective selves mean that we become social outcasts. I ask you, if you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?

A class I currently attend is to sharpen our public speaking skills and is actually a part of the Engineering degree. The class works by calling up each student to the front and giving him/her a random topic pulled out of a hat. We are then given two minutes to think and then required to speak on it for another two minutes.

In about two weeks time, we're mandated to talk for five minutes on a subject of our interest. Instead of speaking about something useless like 'My favorite Vacation,' perhaps I can take this opportunity to present an intellectual issue based on facts. The usual culprits passed through my mind: Palestinian conflict, media bias, genocides and us, World War II, ruins of Petra......

I want something that's different yet exciting; bold yet fascinating; captivating yet simple.
Any suggestions are more than welcome.
Faraz Ahmed 8:51 p.m.

2 Comments:

We had to do that once for our program too. The five minutes can seem to last forever :s
my topic: I had talked about this lady i just met who inspired me beyond words, and how we should never let our shortcomings define us and how we should treat everyday as a new lesson, and live it as if it were our last.
:)
Well, that certainly is a nice topic and an inspiring one too!

Hmm....perhaps I can talk about a motivational topic from a personal experience....though it'd be much more difficult than a socio-political one.

Add a comment