Tales of a Solitary Soul

Monday, January 09, 2006

I always thought of ETLC (aka the Engineering building) as my second home on account of spending many hours there so it felt good to be back in familiar surroundings.

Originally scheduled to graduate in April '07, I'm heavily leaning towards extending my stay one more term so graduation occurs in December '07. Why the delay?

Thanks to co-op, for the past three years, I've either been working or studying with no breaks. After the work experiences, I've begun to realize that certain things can only be accomplished while in school like being able to take extended periods of time off. Unless a person runs his own business, 3-4 weeks is the lenghtiest vacation time most companies offer to their employees. Thus graduating in December provides me with four months of summer during which I don't have co-op or school.

The plans for that four months are somewhat sketchy as of now but depending on how much cash I have in hand, I'd like to travel. To where, you ask?

I'd like to go for Umrah as Hajj would fall after summer but the trip would be more than just a quick stopover. Maybe go around Makkah and Madina to have the honor of walking on the same ground that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) once did.

Then perhaps, visit my extended family in Pakistan because many relatives of mine are very old now and it would be nice to see them one last time if Allah (swt) decides to take their lives before my next visit (for those unaware, all of my parent's siblings are in Pakistan meaning I have no relatives here).

Lastly, take a quick trip through Europe to see centuries old stone cities in Italy, roam through the lush Parisian suburbs, wander in the Greek cultural markets like a merchant without a cause, pray in the magnificent 15th century Spanish mosque.........simply feel like an insignificant speck in this endless world that I'll leave one day for the better insha Allah.

In order for any of this to happen, it's critical that I find a job during my 8-month workterm coming up. According to some of my preliminary calculations, the workterm should provide me with enough funds to carry out all of the above mentioned adventures.

Now this is where things get interesting! If it was simply a matter of finding a job, it would not be a problem. But because I want to stay in Edmonton from now on till the time I graduate, it makes the prospect that much difficult.

These are just some of the goals that I've laid out for myself over the next two years while others can't be mentioned on blogs for the world to read.

There are a lot of 'ifs' and 'buts' requiring numerous puzzles pieces to fall perfectly into place for even half of my goals to be accomplished. I have one simple philosophy that I live by:

You have to believe that if life decisions are made for the right reasons, which for the mu'minoon should be to increase their iman and uphold their deen, then either Allah (swt) will ensure that those goals are achieved or you attain something much better instead.

As long as your end of the bargain is held up, Allah (swt) will give you respect and honor in this
dunya and the aakhira for this is not a promise made by Faraz but by the One that will 'not fail to perform His promise' (baqaraah v: 80).

What's my motivation?

I want to change the world...........even if it means going one person at a time.
You think I dream, but what you don't realize is I believe!
Faraz Ahmed 6:08 p.m.

5 Comments:

wow, that sounds beautiful. InshaAllah you get to do all the things you dream of.
:)
Hey Faraz,

Howz it going?
So feels good to be back in school eh?
Your plans indeed sound soo very exciting and I sincerely wish that you do follow them through because as I see it, it seems you really want to do this.
I had similar plans. Like graduate in December instead of this semester itself but I am glad I am going through this now as I changed my plans for the better.

Alright then...Good Luck and see you around
You fool! You want to travel? Use that money and save it for marriage instead! You fool!! :|
Since you sound much like me two years ago, let me tell you my story...

I also considered the Engineering building at my University as my second home, and was almost reluctant to graduate because of the good times I had throughout my studies. Nevertheless, I had a plan early in my studies to graduate in December '04 and then proceed for Hajj as it fell in January. I also planned on visiting India again, as all of my maternal relatives live there and my last visit four years earlier was only four days long.

As a co-op student, I had pretty decent job prospects. A couple of months before I gradauted, one of my co-op employers offered me a full-time job after graduation, with a great salary and numerous benefits. The only caveat was that I was expected to begin in January, at the same time that I planned to perform Hajj and go to India. They were not willing on delaying the start date a couple of months.

Recognizing this as a test from Allah, I promptly rejected the job offer, and committed myself to saving up money for my Hajj and India plans. Within a few weeks of rejecting my first job offer, I had another series of interviews which resulted in another, better job offer, with the choice to start whenever I wanted. So I graduated, performed my Hajj, spent a full two months in India with relatives and in khurooj, and had a good job waiting for me afterwards.

So I strongly suggest you follow through with your Hajj/Umrah plans however you can arrange them; everything else will fall into place with the help of Allah.
First anonymous: Thank you!

Swetha: It is nice to be back though things feel different and not just because i've been gone for a while. It's something I can't quite put my finger on..hmmmm...

Second anonymous: What makes you think I plan on exploring the world alone? ;-)

Faraz: Jazakullah khairun for your kind words that give me more inspiration.

Actually, the way things look like right now, I'll be very lucky if I can just do one of the things that I mentioned.

There are other goals that I can't mention over blogs which take precedence over things such as travelling.

I plan meticulously but I also make the du'a that 'whatever is best for me in this life and the hereafter happens.'

Add a comment