Tales of a Solitary Soul

Friday, January 06, 2006

A Small Sample

In attempt to get literature reading back on track, I signed out The Alchemist from the library only to discover a poor translation. The cover said 'first english edition' and it certainly showed. So now it sits in my sister's room, whom after reading half the book declared it to be 'boring.' Her opinion doesn't count for much though for she only looks for action combined with twists and turns, ala The Da Vinci Code.

As much as I enjoyed the book while reading, it's not to the kind to leave deep impressions. Perhaps the controversial storyline and a suspenseful plot overshadowed its deeper aspects that tend to determine a book's worth. Take 100 Years of Solitude for example, the recurring names of the characters apart from confusing the readers signified the similar personality traits that all of them carried. That book was filled with so much symbolism that it became too overwhelming by the time I reached the end.

That's another thing. For some reason, I have a deep fascination for translated works with my favorite book being The Outsider by Albert Camus (not to be confused with The Outsiders). A close second is the Chronicles of a Death Foretold by Marquez. His latest work recently came out, an autobiography of sorts from what I hear.

Why the fascination? Perhaps it's the exotic settings of far away lands that transport me to a different world, a place so unlike ours that they only exist in books. It would certainly explain my liking to National Geographic, which contrary to popular opinion should not be classified as a scientific magazine. It's scientific content is actually quite toned down but I prefer it that way. The magic of the magazine lies in showing the lives of the nomadic seamen that have lived on boats for centuries off the coast of Thailand or the desert bedouins that more resemble their 10th century tribesmen or the ruins of the once proud Mayan civilization that ruled much of Central America eons ago.

It's getting more difficult to keep up the reading with added responsibilities that only seem to increase with no end in sight. In my first couple years at university, I quit reading, playing sports, or anything that wasn't related to engineering. The faculty has a way of dictating our lives and I let it win until the day I realized that there always will be an excuse.

I learnt there's more to life than my career; much much more...........all I want is a small sample until I attain the true prize insha Allah.
Faraz Ahmed 11:50 p.m.

2 Comments:

The new Marquez book is a loose autobiography. I suppose the facts that the protagonist is a writer/journalist, has had a fairly promiscuous life etc are charactertics similar to Marquez himself. I personally found this new book "Memories of my Melancholy Whores" to be much weaker than his previous works. Its a bit tired at times, dare I say he should quit while he's still brilliant, or maybe reread his older novels to get re-inspired and remind himself what he is capable of. If you do end up reading it though, make a post of it and let us know what you thought of it.
I think we try to match any of his new work with his Nobel Prize winning book and such brilliance only comes once in a lifetime. But then again, I felt 100 Years of Solitude also dragged on at times.

That being said, you’re not the only one I’ve heard complain about his new book. I wish he would write an autobiography because it would be interesting to note how much of his life influenced his writings.

The new book, with such a lovely title might I add, supposedly takes on some characters from 100 Years of Solitude and expands on it? If that’s true, then it should make for a somewhat of an interesting read.

Add a comment