Tales of a Solitary Soul

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

While trying my best to fall asleep, a phone call from the Canadian Red Cross woke me up. The lady and I actually struck a good conversation about the international relief efforts that have taken place recently and she happen to mention some interesting facts:

Amount of money raised for the tsunami: $300 million
Amount of money raised for Katrina: $38 million
Amount of money raised for Pakistan earthquake: $3.5 million (no, it's not a typo)

Lady: Well sir, you can potentially get your kids involved in one of our community activities.
Faraz: Kids?? Uhh....I'm not sure how old you imagine me to be but I'm only 21 and a student.
Lady: Oh really!! Well, you sound very mature so I assumed you were older.
Faraz: *note to self: start talking more slang otherwise the kids at the masjid will start calling me 'uncle' next*
Lady: In that case, perhaps you have young nephews and neices that can take get invovled?
Faraz: I don't have any relatives in Canada. They're all in Pakistan.
Lady: Oh my!!
Faraz: But I think there are kids in our family friends that I can substitute as 'nephews' and 'neices'.......

Next time, it might be simpler to pretend to have kids of my own.
Faraz Ahmed 9:21 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment