Tales of a Solitary Soul

Sunday, February 12, 2006

A matter so trivial

It hit me recently that I'd be 22 in a few months. But that can't be right.....I that old? But I'm still a kid who gets excited over the silliest of things.

Time certainly does fly by. My days in Abu Dhabi seem like eons ago and scratchy memories of Pakistan do manage to surface now and then. Many a tales, such little time.

Everyone's got stories to tell only if someone was willing to listen. I often go through my collection of World War II books staring at the black & white pictures of people that are probably long dead by now. Makes me wonder what each person's dreams and aspirations were? What tales accompanied them to their graves?

I'll be lucky if just one person remembers me twenty years after I'm dead.

Death. Ironically, it's usually the last thought on our minds considering there is no other certainty in the world. Many of you probably think I'm depressed because I happen to mention the D-word for that's the usual response I get everytime the topic comes up.

I'm not depressed by any stretch of the imagination. My time will come, perhaps sooner rather than later but there is no denying it. Hopefully, it doesn't include getting crushed under a 20-wheel truck. Or perhaps it wil be as simple as me going to sleep after blogging this and not waking up.

Lets see how long the angel of death has to wait before he gets his hands on me. Poor fellow visits me five times a day only to return empty handed but he'll certainly get his due.

Hum na samjhe tay
Baat itni see
Khwab Sheeshay kay
Maut pathar kee

Not realized had I,
A matter so trivial;
Dreams are a construct of glass,
And death of stone.
Faraz Ahmed 2:24 a.m.

3 Comments:

22?! MashAllah! Thats awesome.
I hope you're well, dropping by to say salamz.

:)
Walaikum Assalam modest hijabi,

Yes, 22.....well, not there completely; the 20-wheel truck might still get in the way ;-)
May Allah protect you from all evil my dear brother. I'm back in Edmonton, by the way. I'll probably see you at Jum3ah, and if not, then at the MSA dinner. :D

Add a comment