Tales of a Solitary Soul

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Incredible Success

I attended my last MAC Youth Give meeting today because I leave after the March event. It seems like eons ago that we met in the basement of al-Rashid; well 1.5 years ago to be exact. The hardest part is realizing I could've done so much more but fell terribly short.

About two years ago, my cricket team comprised of talented, disciplined, and athletic 16-20 year olds took the league by surprise, beating out teams with players that've played on national levels. We ended up winning the championship to everyone's amazement. Many of us are still together but others have moved on but to this day, when I see any of them, we have this unspoken bond and trust. Why?

For the simple reason that we had struggled together against all odds, practiced hard, believed in ourselves when no one gave us a chance. And what did we win in the end?

Some trophy.

We were extremely proud of our achievements when it had literally no benefits other than a 'feel good' factor.

The GIVE board had almost became a second family of sorts. We strove in the way of Allah (swt), spending hours plotting and planning. To be honest, we didn't attain as much success on the surface as we had anticipated, which can be largely attribtuted to be my fault. But now when I look back at it, it's not the fact that we had incredible success that matters.

We worked for the sake of Allah (swt) and insha Allah our 'incredible success' will come through Him too. I'll take that over some trophy any day.
Faraz Ahmed 7:13 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment