Tales of a Solitary Soul

Saturday, March 18, 2006

I've noticed a sharp drop in the number of edmonton bloggers over the last few weeks. Not long ago, as I was living a love-hate relationship with C-town, bloglines was tracking close to 15 blogs that regularly updated. Now, the number is less than five.

It doesn't surprise me though. I always knew it was only a matter of time.

That brings me to another point. Being the 'MSN generation,' as I like to call ourselves, I've come to realize that many of us have split personalities. It never ceizes to amaze me on how different people seem over the net.

Granted that I have not used MSN at all, save the two high school years when social circles were made over it and the number of people on your chatting list was like a hunter's trophy case, I think we can stretch that definition to also include blogging.

Not to say people depict a different picture of themselves intentionally. I always wondered what kind of a person I came across as through this blog. Because I really don't think it's fair to give a different perception of myself than who I really am.

Before someobody mentions on this being a pointless post, I'd disagree. If you have a blog, or chat, or just email, then it's something worth thinking about. And because the net has become such a huge media of communication that anything from personal messaging to million dollar business deals are being done through it, perhaps we should spare a thought as to how we want to come across.
Faraz Ahmed 10:45 p.m.

5 Comments:

I can’t believe I’m actually agreeing with you. I had always thought the idea absurd- how can somebody really change behind a computer screen? But even though you don’t realize it then, it strikes you when you’re put in specific situations…
never realized it till now, and it terrifies me.
But you're right, the difference can be shocking.
I think we should all be terrified.

People that seemed complete introverts (no bad connotations implied) are very social and talkative over the net.

I try to be cautious now with people I don't know personally but have interacted with over the net because they might have a totally different personality in real life.
hmm...you make it sound so scary.
Perhaps you're right. I did overdo it a tad bit.

My bad :-(
I don't think you over did it at all. Every body pretends on the internet. If not intentionally then subconciously.

Usually I believe their behaviour over the internet is what they want it to be in real life.

It's a struggle being yourself in the beginning. I had to make a conscious effort when I started chatting, and now blogging.

Add a comment