Tales of a Solitary Soul

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Piece of Gum

I'm not sure what came over me when I decided to walk it from the Heritage bus stop to my house -- a distance of about 2-3 km. The bus was not due for another hour and there was much to think about if not decide.

Considering the weather that blitzed us a couple of days back, my little adventure could be termed madness but in my defense, it was a fairly calm night with little wind and light but steady snow flakes performing downward spirals like an Olympic figure skater.

I keep re-assuring myself that only a month of school left before I disappear for 8-months. Well, not literally but disappear off campus atleast. But the strange part is that after a few months at work, I know I'll miss school. Not school per se but more the atmosphere of being with brothers, praying in jama'h, attending events like IAW, etc.

It's deja vu all over again. High school were good times but there came a point where it became pointless. Sooner or later, we all come to that phase where we realize that it's time to move on, be it from high school or university. I don't think I'm at the point of wanting to finish university and leave, but it's getting close.....very close.

Every time I come back from a work term, a similar pattern follows: the first month is usually spent on sheer excitement of meeting the new faces of MSA and catching up with classmates followed by a month of realizing how far back I've fallen in my courses because the first month was spent 'socializing.'

This only leads into an even worse third month, characterisitcs of which are late evening university study sessions and the dreaded fourth month during which all heck breaks loose.

Where am I now? In transition from the 3rd to 4th.

Cracks have begun to appear on the door and it's only a matter of time before the great flood of exams drowns and spits me out like a chewed piece of gum. Sometimes I wish I was born during the golden era of the Islamic Empire, a time when not engineering nor sciences but Islamic degrees were placed at the mantle and education was not a four-year crash course to maximize life earnings.
Faraz Ahmed 7:15 a.m.

8 Comments:

Amen to that brother!
if it offers any solace, you could plan on doing what i've always wanted to: after your 'actual degree', go out and take some islamic courses, and hey maybe even get a degree in that too.

for now however, just remember the honor that is given to one who seeks knowledge...
the Prophet (pbuh) said: ‘Welcome to the seeker of knowledge! The angels cover the seeker of knowledge with their wings. They crowd over one another until they reach the lower Heaven, because of their love for what he seeks’

good luck with those exams. :)
JazakAllah khair for the hadeeth...it really lifted my spirits :-)

For the Islamic courses, I want to take them while in school even though it becomes impossibly hard at times. I'm scared that if I put them off till after graduation, I'll either die before or will keep pushing it for one reason or another.

ps. I wonder if one of them angels would be willing to help me out on the exams? :-)
What flavour chewing gum? :D
lol

i don't know. perhaps you should be asking Allah that?

:)
hahaha....good answer :-)
As for the flavor, the kind that leaves a sour aftertaste :-(
but i like sour aftertaste!

Add a comment