Tales of a Solitary Soul

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Unable to decide on what to talk about in my 5-minute talk infront of the class leading to even performing istikharaa and finally settling on:
Double Standards in 'Freedom of Expression' as shown by Danish Cartoon Controversy
I realize it's quite a large topic to cover in five minutes but with the issue refusing to die down, this is the least I can do. The way I look at it, even if I get across to just 10% of the class, meaning about three people, it would be more than worth it.

I entered a 3 minute improv competition yesterday; well, it was more like I walked in to watch the competition and next thing I knew my name was written down to speak last. Earlier, many people had inquired as to whether I was taking part in the competition, convinced that I would easily win because of a few good performances in my improv class.

But as it turns out, I couldn't pull it together when it actually mattered. In my defense, I had the strangest topic to work with:
Estimate the Average Lifespan of a University Professor
All I had were 3 minutes to prepare and I couldn't think of anything. So, I walked infront of the entire audience along with the 4 judges, all of whom were professors by the way, and winged it!

I had a feeling that I'm not the victor after claiming that the 'average age of UofA university professors is 80 and that more than half of them should be be forced to retire.'

Or perhaps they didn't like the fact that I think 'most professors look like characters from Lord of the Rings -- and I'm not talking about Aragon.'

So, in short, I lost out on $200 but more importantly, I have to re-evaluate my public speaking now. Maybe record myself or something.

On a different note, what are you thinking about?
Faraz Ahmed 9:30 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment