Tales of a Solitary Soul

Monday, June 12, 2006

Close to graduation, mind tends to wander pondering the future and the like. There is a strong urge to relocate or at least disappear for some time. Many strings have broken but the strongest one still remains attached – family.

Don’t have much of it anyways. Plus I don’t want my kids growing up like I did – no uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, or any relative save a few months every 4-5 years when we’d wander back to Pakistan and be introduced to familiar strangers who had pinched our cheeks and eaten the gulab jamans that accompany every newborn from heaven.

Not an ideal life yet you grow accustomed to that feeling of absence, believing that’s how life is meant to be. Friends come and go as a realization dawns that attachments are but feathered ropes.

If you’re fortunate enough to have extended family close to you, go and spend time with them, attempt to mend feelings if relationships have gone sour. Even if you don’t succeed, consider yourself lucky because some of us can’t even try.
Faraz Ahmed 9:22 a.m.

9 Comments:

It's okay Faraz jaan.
You too will one day be married and find your gulab jamun like Farooq and Zacharya did.
She will be the chutney to your samosa. The mirchi in your biryani.

;)
(and yes, I know I have an annoying habit of turning everything into marriage - I'm a young, single, Muslim MSA male student. What else do you expect? :P)
lol...I think it's an art to turn every conversation into marriage and you seem to be the master at it ;-)

By the way, if she's the gulab jamun, what does that make me?
no uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, or any relative save a few months every 4-5 years when we’d wander back to Pakistan and be introduced to familiar strangers who had pinched our cheeks

I know how that feels. Family is such a blessing, Subhan Allah!!
By the way, if she's the gulab jamun, what does that make me?
--- The sheera that makes a gulab jamun a gulab jamun =)

Having been surrounded by an assortment of uncle and aunts who do their best to run my life in the absense of my father while he's away...I'm a bit disdainful of "family".

But then I suppose you crave what you cannot have. To me having both parents and siblings under one roof is all I want, and that's what I can't have. Not always. and not for a long time anyway.

And to you it's the uncle,aunts, cousins that complete the circle.
Life is whatever you make it to be, regardless of the hand dealt.
Actually Samar, my dad works in another city too :-(

Sheera eh? I was hoping to be the laddoo but I'll settle for it too (i have no idea what it is though)
Sheera is the juicy substance that goos when u bite into a gulab jamun. It's what lends the mithai it's sweetness. A big part of it anyway.

Sheera is basically sugar dissolved in water. But a thicker, much sweeter version of sugar water.
So that's what a sheera is!
I always heard the word being used and just nodded along. Finally, a definition.

Thank you :-)
I love laddoo :)

Add a comment