Tales of a Solitary Soul

Thursday, July 20, 2006

From Israel With Love

Got reprimanded with a $37 fine from the library for not returning a book for months. The worst part is not paying such a hefty fine (I deserved it) but realizing that the six year old who picks garbage for a living could have survived a month on it.

Taking an online Sunni Path course right now. I’ve decided to add the notes and important discussion points to faraz.wetpaint.com so everyone can take advantage of it and I can review them whenever I want. Plus I’m looking to summarize the books that I’m reading. I’ve already started to add one and maybe if I can get off my lazy rear, I’ll put the other ones up.

One word of caution: when reading through the Sunni Path course notes and coming across the various sharia’h rulings, remember that many of them are flexible. Fiqh is affected by the time and place that we live in. So many of these rulings are perfectly applicable in Muslim lands but a certain degree of leniency is offered to Muslim minorities in the West. The key is to differentiate between the two kinds and one way is through IslamOnline, which offers a very good balance.

To prepare for my backpacking trip through the Parisian suburbs (someday insha Allah), insha Allah I’m planning to take French classes starting in fall. I should have started in summer, which would have meant completing two levels by December but better late than never.

And finally, from Israel with love………

Israeli children write messages on missiles that will tear apart Lebanese civilians, many not much older than them. While it's commonplace to see videos of Palestinians celebrating attacks on Israel, you'll NEVER see this on TV.

Faraz Ahmed 9:06 a.m.

2 Comments:

Good and bad exist on both sides.

What usually ticks me off is the portrayal of one side as a 'peace and freedom loving democracy' and the other as savages who deserved nothing better than to die.

By the way, interesting name.
So true. I know from personal experience that the people that contributed to the creation of India and Pakistan are portrayed as villains in the opposing countries.

Most people don't really know the background history of the conflict. Their knowledge begins wherever CNN or FOX bothered to start from. All they know is that Palestinians keep firing rockets for no reason whatsoever.

Very few would be able to give a half decent timeline of the major events since the UN partition. But yet they are quick to jump to decisions because as you said, their leaders are tilting to a certain side.

Then again, we have some MASSIVE in house cleaning to do before we start to expect sympathy and support from others.

Add a comment