Tales of a Solitary Soul

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Kite Runner

About to finish the Kite Runner by Khalid Hosseini. The book lives up to its hype, exceeding it in many ways. It's the antethesis of The Da Vinci Code but no less involving.

Set in Afghanistan before, during, and after the Soviet invasion in 1979, it follows the principle character, Amir, as he grows up in Kabul, raised by a single father whom he loves but does not understand. The racial discrimination agains the Hazaras, an ethnic sect of Afghanistan, religious hypocrisy, honor and its lack thereof, and troubled personal relationships make the book a delectable read.

By the way, for those who've read it, I still can't comprehend the symbolism between the book's name and its importance to the storyline. I understand that Hassan's uncanny ability at chasing down kites compared to the image of lethargic Amir having trouble in keeping up is meant to showcase the wide gulf between their personalities and lives, but why choose it as the book's name?

Insha Allah, I'm trying to get back to the routine of one novel per month so suggestions for other great reads are appreciated.

Labels:

Faraz Ahmed 6:26 a.m.

4 Comments:

The God of Small Things by Arundathi Roy
The In Between World of Vikram Lall by MG Vassanji
Bombay Time by Thrity Umrigar
Madras on Rainy Days by Samina Ali

I read all of these and a few more this summer, found them to be great reads.
I've heard Arundathi Roy is a good author so do want to read that one. The book by Samina Ali, I believe, is on forced marriages so that should make for an interesting read too.

Add to the list Alchemist, if I can find a good enough translation.
The Alchemist
- the one I read seemed to be a good translation. I didn't realize that finding the proper translation was an issue. Email me if you want to know the version I borrowed from my friend.

The Kite Runner
- Perhaps there is some great symbolism and perhaps there isn't. Oftentimes, a title is chosen in a very simple manner. The author chooses whatever title pops up in his head and then later on the title may take on meaning although it wasn't planned.
- One of the explanations for the title could simply be that the incident involving his kite runner friend is very significant and defines the rest of his life.
Perhaps you're right and I'm just reading a little too much into it.

Add a comment