Tales of a Solitary Soul

Monday, February 26, 2007

The Bus Terminal and the Pauper

A story related by a close friend:
I was headed home from university with a scheduled switchover at the Southgate bus terminal. The temperature had dropped significantly and the wind had also picked up so it was not the most pleasant of times to be out and about. I made my way towards the heated confines of the terminal, already packed with weather refugees.

High school kids, their identity revealed by carefree attitudes, tired shoppers with their fingers wrapped around the shopping bags, and the arching backs of the university students, under the mighty weight of their overpriced books formed the general populace that chattered away amicably. It seemed like a social circus of sorts, each person engulfed in a conversation to hurry the slow ticking clock.

Three wooden benches were strewn together in the shape of a T with a strategically placed garbage can at their junction point. I watched as an older gentleman, in his 50s or so, began to sift through the trash. He wasn't badly dressed nor did foul odor emanate from his presence so it was surprising to see him do that. I felt disdained for a moment. Not being able to find any bottle or cans, he disappeared into the crowd. I pitied him, wondering what circumstances force someone to look for 10 cent cans to fill an empty stomach.

Before the matter could be given any more thought, my bus docked itself at the terminal. I hurried out only to find a long line had already formed meaning the frosty weather would be a companion for a few more minutes. As I stood there, staring at the streams of cars that zipped back and forth, I saw him again. He was now searching through another trash can in the cold weather, without as much as gloves.

I walked over to him but he was intensely busy in his search for survival to pay any heed. Not sure what went through my head but I pulled out a $5 bill, thinking he would consider it to be blessing. After all, he would have to collect 50 bottles to make that much. As I put the $5 bill infront him, he stopped for a second and stared at me intently as if he's seen a ghost. Then he remarked, "No!"

I was dumbfounded. In sheer ignorance, I had assumed that every poor person is a beggar.. I walked away ashamed at myself. The world is full of surprises, where sometimes paupers are nobler than princes.

Labels: , , , ,

Faraz Ahmed 11:18 p.m.

3 Comments:

He might just have been looking for something he lost.
Apparently, he had a half filled bag with bottles.
I agree with the last line.

Add a comment