Tales of a Solitary Soul

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Languages

My uncle in Pakistan and I were conversing a few days ago when the topic of language surfaced. It's a common trend in third world countries and especially the South Asian ones to employ English as the main language of communication in schools, colleges, and governmental institutions. Increasingly, 'english medium' schools are springing forth where the medium of instruction is in English and not the land's native language. Why?

Partly because the mastery of the English language provides for better job prospects. Undeveloped economies lack the indigenous industrial base and therefore to attract offshore investments, an English speaking labor force is a considerable asset. Another reason is that the colonial legacy ensures a feeling of inferiority for generations and an attraction towards light skin and foreign languages.

There is a saying that to destroy a people's identity, take away their language. The promise of short term success has lured the masses into more than they have bargained for. Fifty years down the road, the damage will become obvious when a generation raised is neither proficient in their native language nor the English one.

Labels:

Faraz Ahmed 8:37 p.m.

4 Comments:

looking forward to your list :D

yeah, delete my facebook account. I was wasting waaay too much on it :$
Ok Hafsa, here is my list of weird things about me:

1. I am an organization freak. Nothing should be out of order (except my room).
2. I have excel sheets to keep track of everything....from how much money I am spending per month to where the money is going with 7 different categories for my various expenses to keeping track of bills to forecasting how much I will be spending in the upcoming quarter, etc

Ok, so I've probably lost half of you by now.

3. I can't stand unstructured conversations that jump from one place to another.
4. Everything needs to have an objective and a definite conclusion otherwise I really get irritated.
5. I like broccoli.

I think I'm going to stop right here otherwise the other half will disappear too.
And I thought I was wierd...
you are s'posed to create a new post :P

Regarding #3, I don't think we would ever get into a conversation. My friend and I even considered taking notes during our call, so we can get back to the incomplete topics later :D

Add a comment